Yep, it’s that time of the year again. I am still in the thick of all the goal-setting/re-setting stuff. Meanwhile, I thought it would be fun to list some of more interesting predictions and goals for the upcoming years that I saw on Wikipedia, the Mother of All Truth.
- Queen Elizabeth II will have been on the throne for 60 years
- The world is going to end according the the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, ostensibly because the calendar runs out. This will effectively limit the Queen’s 60-year reign, of course.
- The space program of the People’s Republic of China will attempt its first unmanned moon landing
- The first products using memristor technology will be available. Memristor is a new type of computer memory.
- Other than the next FIFA World Cup (soccer), nothing spectacular predicted
- On July 1, Earth, Venus, and Jupiter will be aligned. Ooohh!
- If Elizabeth II is still on the throne, she will surpass Victoria as the longest-reigning British monarch. She is the same age as my mum; both will be 89.
- The US Navy will commission the first in a new class of supercarriers, the USS Gerald R. Ford. It will feature an additional deck containing a 9-hole golf course. (I made that part up.)
- Orbital Technologies, a Russian company, will launch a space hotel for wealthy tourists. I doubt there will be a dance floor.
- The long running television series, South Park, will finish its current contract, and possibly will end. This is causing many to reinterpret the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar.
- The remaining classified documents pertaining to the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy will be released to the public
- According to futurist Ray Kurzweil, by 2018 “there will be a drug that lets you eat whatever you want without gaining weight.”
- Slim pickin’s as far as predictions go. Prognosticators have bypassed this year in favor of predictions for…
- Several developing countries have plans to become “developed countries” by 2020, among them, India, Malaysia, and Vietnam. How does one become a developed country?
- India’s space agency, ISRO, plans to send a manned space mission to the moon in this year. I suppose that is one answer to the previous question.
- The Russian Federal Space Agency says that they plan to be mining helium-3 from the moon by this year.
- Technological predictions include cars that drive themselves on smart highways, 3-D video conferencing, artificial brain cells, artificial lungs, artificial kidneys, and the identification of the genetic causes of all diseases
As for moi? I’m still working on my goals, but I definitely plan on having a Christmas record released.
What about you? Any goals and plans for the new year?